Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Yeast Free Diet - Hard Core Challenge


Honestly, I have to go a little bit further than just gluten and sugar free for the next 90 days.   I'm going yeast free.  What's a yeast free diet?     Why the heck would you want to torture yourself?  So glad you asked.
 
The first question is easy.   Here's what I avoid the next 90 days:
No yeasty, starchy, bready foods or veggies
No sugary foods
No vinegar, pickled, or moldy foods
No alcohol
No dairy
No High sugary content fruits or dried fruits
 
These types foods basically breakdown into sugars and provide fuel for the growth of yeast in a person's system.   Avoiding this stuff is not so easy.     On the bright side, I can eat meat, most fresh fruits and vegetables, and nuts.
 
The answer to the second question is:   I am just bored and just thought this would be fun. (Ha!)  
Everyone has good and bad yeast in their systems, but, I have an overgrowth of bad yeast in mine and that causes havoc on my system, although outwardly I cannot tell.    My gastro-intestinal system constantly fights this invader which prevents my body from fully absorbing vitamins and minerals which creates a chain reaction of (obvious and hidden) problems and, then, leads me into my chiro/nutritionist's office exasperated and frustrated about what is wrong with me?  
 
Yeah, not a real sexy answer but that's it in a nutshell.  
 
I have done this 1 1/2 other times before.   The first time I managed to get 60 days under my belt that was becoming looser and looser.   It all ended at the end of the school year party with a bender of meat lover's pizza and several slices of cake with tons of frosting.   I remember it fondly, except, all that cheese, flour, and sugar just made an atomic bomb for the yeast's population to explode.   That day yeast hit the lotto.
 
The half attempt this past summer was a joke that lasted about two to three weeks before vacation.   When we got to Vegas, I completely lost all self-control at the buffets' ice cream bars.   Visiting the Coca Cola store and sucking down 16 different types of international soft drinks, high fructose corn syrup is money in the bank for the yeast to never leave. What happened in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas - it followed me home.   I never really hopped back on the GS-free wagon.   I just sort of jogged along side it and sometimes would climb on for a little break.  All the while, the yeast never went away.  
 
What I learned from these attempts is that this restrictive diet works and my system starts functioning better.  The first time around the pounds came off  easily  - ok, well some days were a struggle to not gouge my eyeball out with a spoon in search of ice cream.   I took lots of naps to get my mind off of food, but then I dreamt about it, BUT, it was easy since I did not have to workout like an Olympic athlete.  
 
Weight management since this summer has been impossible with a slow upwards creep.  It was this creep-iness by the beginning of the school year that made me realize I need to persevere and hang tough this time while marking off these 90 days on the calendar.   

No comments:

Post a Comment