Thursday, January 30, 2014

Walk of Shame


Late again...
      and AGAIN...
To church...

Taking that L-O-N-G walk of shame up the aisle to the very front of church, the very first pew where we cannot hide our tardiness. The one where I nod a hello to the pastor while wearing your Sunday best fake smile to hide the frowns of my children. 

The premium back rows in church are occupied by people who have arrived early or on time or late, but, at least before we did.

                                 So my kids and I take a walk, up the front, to the first pew. 

My kids fight me,
                 I fight my kids,
To church,
              For God.

I am positive that when they grow up and remember church and God, it's going to be
                       memories of nagging,
           pleadings ignored,
                              hungry stomaches and sullen car rides,
occasionally sweetened with a run for donuts to make us
               even more tardy, but pleasant on a sugar high.

When they get older and grow up, I don't want them to remember me as Sunday-Angry mom.

I want them to realize you have to be fierce, determined, and unwaivering to something important that makes me walk through the challenges of 'weakly' protests.

I am betting on Him to smooth out the jagged, sharp memories that it takes to get them there.

His love and grace are more moving than this Sunday-angry mom and THIS is the message I hope imprints into their hearts that makes the walk worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment