Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I'm a Church Fly

"See?  It WAS fun!!" my friend laughed at me when I gave her my positive conclusion of tonight's evening.
 
The previous day I asked her to pray for my bad attitude stemming from pressure and panic of folding a hundred pieces of paper into origami flowers for a church dinner the next day.   "Are paper cuts and glue gun burns really a God assignment?"  I texted her.
 
Inspite of my injuries, the evening was fun and a great time to hang out with girlfriends. My friend and I talked underneath the parking lot light afterwards to catch up and laughed about how 24 hours could change someone's attitude from bad to good.
 
Months had gone by without a good chat with each other - different kids' schedules, church schedules, and life, in general, just interrupting.    So there we were in the parking lot and talked and talked.
 
But, it was here that I realized that if you step up with your sisters in Christ to God's table, He doubles the portion of grace in your life that comes from fellowship with these women.   What was sour is now sweet.   What seemed horrible is now pretty funny.   Paper transforms into flowers.  The black night is brightened by light-hearted conversation.
 
The hour was getting late and sleep time was slipping away before it would blur into a day full of activities and errands and carpools.  We left with the hope to meet up next week.   
 
I pulled out and rounded the corner to the darkened front of the church.   No lights were on inside.  No cars in the front parking lot.   The pastor's wife, women's ministry director, and all the other guests had left long ago.
 
That's when I realized with a chuckle that I had closed down a church, but never had closed down a bar.     
 
And that is a wonderful gift that comes from Table Grace.

2 comments:

  1. Love this….and can so relate, especially the chatting in the parking lot after the event. God moments! Also, we have one more thing in common…closing down a church, but never a bar. :) Look forward to more of your posts! Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, your post hits home - I so relate - we need community and fellowship and friendship and I think many women are starved for it. ;) Thank you for sharing this with me. And, God bless you my dear! Love, Hester

    ReplyDelete