Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sugar Dragons


Avoiding sugar is hard! Like I've said before, sugar is everywhere - like oxygen everywhere!

Not to be insensitive or belittle to anyone with an alcohol or drug addiction - no addiction to overcome is easy - but, I would almost rather be an alcoholic. Yes, it's true. 

This is how I break it down.

Processed sugar exists in practically everything. Read the food labels. Alcohol is not in a majority of my food. My will power is constantly tested with choices during three square meals and snacks during the day. Alcohol is not offered to me this frequently or daily.  

I have to eat something, but I don't have to drink alcohol. A person could go 20-40 days without food - it's scientific, but eventually s/he would need some type of food to live. (Notice I didn't say that I could go for this duration without food. That's just crazy talk.) There's no biological requirement or scientific fact that I have to consume alcohol.

Alcoholics who are trying to recover have group support in Alcoholic Anonymous (AA) meetings. These meetings are all over the the country at many different hours. Year(s) of sobriety are marked with annual celebrations. Sugar-free triumphs are more the quiet, solitary, pat yourself on the back, eat another almond.  

Also, there isn't any particular group that comes to mind when dealing with food issues. However, I recently learned there is an Overeaters Anonymous group, but this isn't something as talked about - probably because a majority of Americans would fit the definition of an overeater. (We are good with denial.)  

An awareness about alcohol exists to warn people about dangers associated with alcohol: Don't drink and drive. Designated driver. There are horrible, tragic and visual stories with impact for discouragement. On the other hand, the nutritionists and dietitians have not convinced the masses about the hazards of sugar with slick slogan campaigns. What would they say? It's Gooder without Sugar. Designated label reader. Sugar Nazi. The impact of sugar is insidiously gradual and hidden for years until a person is dealing with diabesity and health problems. There are no 'sugar' wrecks to show devastating, instantaneous impacts.

Finally, people recognize alcoholism as a problem and are more sensitive to it. MOST people don't push alcohol on you if they know you are an alcoholic - they will try to have alternatives for you at a social function or just not have it. Sugar is a different beast. I go to dinner with friends and make some comment that I am sugar free. Most reactions are range from "Ha! good luck" to "You're a freak," then, the question: You're not going to make me eat this piece of cake ALONE are you? Here have a bite. 

The Sugar Dragons are always out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment